Have you ever experienced eyelid swelling? If yes, you are well aware of the discomfort and annoyance it causes. A swollen eyelid occurs when your eyelid becomes puffy or inflamed. Swelling of the eyes can range from minor to severe swelling and can have many underlying causes. This article will try to understand eyelid swelling, its causes, and Swollen Eyelid Treatment Options.
What is Eyelid Swelling?
Swollen eyes may or may not be painful, and the condition can affect both the upper and lower eyelids. Swollen or puffy eyelids are more common than you would assume. In many scenarios, the swelling goes away within a day. Most cases of swollen eyelids are harmless, but seemingly minor problems can be quite severe. So, if you have swollen eyelids, it is a good idea to get your eyes tested by the best eye specialist in India
What causes swelling of eyelids?
There are multiple reasons your eyelid may be swollen. A few of the causes include:
- a bug bite,
- fluid retention,
- pink eye (conjunctivitis),
- a chalazion (a blocked oil gland commonly referred to as a stye),
- trauma or eye injuries, which are often accompanied by discolouration, and
- lack of sleep.
Swollen Eyelid Treatment Options
Tips for at-home relief
- Use a saline solution to rinse your eyes if there’s discharge,
- Use a cool compress or a cold washcloth over your eyes,
- Remove contact lenses, if you wear them,
- Place chilled black tea bags over your eyes; it helps reduce swelling,
- Elevate your head at night to decrease fluid retention,
- Try antihistamines if you have allergies.
Eyelid swelling is common, but it can cause discomfort and performing daily activities can become tiresome. So, if you start experiencing any pain with puffy eyelids, it is better to get your eyes tested by the best eye hospital In India